Zigzag Material Density Separation
A fully adjustable air-based cleaning solution, simply using air to efficiently remove lightweight debris from the material stream.
Zigzag material density separation has become a staple addition to any Material Recycling Facility (MRF) and in many other material sorting and separation scenarios within the recycling sector. Our versatile solution can be found increasing the value of ‘waste’ streams such as bread and flexible plastic packaging (see case study here), astroturf rubber crumb from the artifical grass, to the more common application such as glass and fibre, plastic flake and fibre and WEEE materials.
The Zigzag Separation system can be installed at a conveyor junction and is typically applied to clean the unwanted contaminants and debris from the 0-100mm material stream. The contaminated material discharges the feed conveyor into a zigzag cascade enclosure where the material falls through an upwards travelling air stream and density separation occurs.
Contaminated material is fed into the zigzag system via a variable speed rotary valve. The falling material cascades over a series of zigzag baffles ensuring efficient removal of debris which is collected via a material separator for further processing/disposal. Variable air volumes and adjustment dampers also ensure minimal loss of valuable recyclable material to provide maximum flexibility and highly efficient cleaning of the material. The zigzag separation system is available in a range of sizes to suit your process and material throughputs.
Common applications include, but are not limited to:
Trommel Fines, DMR (Dry Mixed Recycling), Glass Recovery/Cleaning, MSW (Municipal Solid Waste), SRF (Solid Recovered Fuel), RDF (Residue Derived Fuel), Gypsum/Plasterboard, Plastic, Metals.
Successful application trials have led to installations for separation of various materials such as:
Astroturf grass and rubber crumb, cassette tape and the plastic outer cover, shredded coffee pods and filters, circuit boards and fibres, shredded CD’s/cases and fibres, shredded mattress fibre and metal springs, dry food waste and packaging, shredded car dashboard foam and rubber, and many more!
Contact us to find out which zigzag separation solution will be most effective for your material stream.
- Ideally suited to 5-60mm material fraction
- Dosing controlled via variable speed rotary valve
- Fully adjustable air flow controls both via manual dampers and electronic fan speed controls
- Outstanding results to significantly improve the cleanliness of material stream
- Minimal loss of valuable recyclable material during cleaning operation
- High material throughput capabilities
- Suitable for a wide range of material applications, such as rigid plastics / plastic containers recycling process
- Used in conjunction with the Impact range of material separators and dust filtration